Visit us the 1st & 3rd Saturday of every month 10am-2pm
37974 Shinn St, Fremont, CA 94536

Gillig

Gillig began as a San Francisco carriage builder in 1890. They moved to Hayward, where the first school bus body was turned out in 1932 and the plant moved to Hayward, CA in 1938. The first underfloor-engine bus school bus was produced in 1941 and they were the mainstay of the business for the next four decades.  

“In 2015, Gillig Corporation marked the 125th anniversary of its founding. In May 2017, the company moved its factory from Hayward, California, to Livermore, another East Bay region city, after more than 80 years in Hayward.”

Source: Wikipedia

Gillig produced its first transit bus in 1937 but did not enter the field in earnest until it began licensed production of rear-engine Neoplan buses in 1977. An original design, named the Phantom, was introduced in 1981 putting Gillig into the manufacture of heavy-duty transit buses. Increased production prompted a move to larger quarters in Livermore in 2017.

Our 1990 Phantom, AC Transit #2738, was certainly produced in Livermore.

Pages on this site about Gillig


#2738 – Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District (AC Transit)

Bus #2738 was part of an order of 65 30-foot Gillig Phantoms for AC Transit delivered in 1990.

#2738 was donated to the Pacific Bus Museum in June 2011.

4-Speed Automatic, Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District (AC Transit), Automatic, Benicia Transit, Gillig, Transit


Paddle Archives mentioning Gillig

Website Design and Development by Pro Web Marketing